10DLC Campaign use cases summarise the purpose of sending the SMS and indicates the type of content your SMS will contain.
The Campaign Registry (TCR) has defined a list of Campaign use cases. When registering your campaign, you will need to select a use case and enter a description of that use case.
There are two categories of Campaign use cases: Standard and Special.
Standard use cases provided by TCR
- 2FA - Any two-factor authentication, verification or one-time passcode.
- Account Notifications - Standard notifications for account holders, relating to and being about a user’s account.
- Customer Care - All customer care interaction, including but not limited to account management and customer support.
- Delivery Notifications - Notification about the status of the delivery of a product or service.
- Fraud Alert Messaging - Notifications regarding potential fraudulent activity on a user’s account.
- Higher Education - Messaging created on behalf of Colleges or Universities, including School Districts and education institutions. This use case is NOT for the “free to the consumer” messaging model.
- Low Volume Mixed - For Brands that have multiple use cases and only need very low messaging throughput. Examples include: test or demo accounts, small businesses (single Doctor’s office, single Pizza shop etc).
- Machine to Machine - Machine to Machine (M2M) is a process that implies wireless communication between two or more physical assets. There is no human interaction in the Machine to Machine Campaign. Subscriber-facing campaigns are prohibited. This is a dedicated use case.
- Marketing - Any communication that includes marketing and/or promotional content.
- Mixed - Any messaging campaign containing 2 to 5 standard uses cases.
- Polling and voting - The sending of surveys and polling/voting campaigns for non political arenas.
- Public Service Announcement - Informational messaging to raise an audience’s awareness about important issues.
- Security Alert - A notification that the security of a system, either software or hardware, has been compromised in some way and there is an action you need to take.
Special use cases provided by TCR
- Carrier Exemptions - Exemption by Carrier
- Charity - Communications from a registered charity aimed at providing help and raising money for those in need. Includes: 5013C Charity.
- Proxy- Peer-to-peer app-based group messaging with proxy/pooled numbers. Supporting personalized services and non-exposure of personal numbers for enterprise or A2P communications.
- Emergency - Notification services designed to support public safety / health during natural disasters, armed conflicts, pandemics and other national or regional emergencies.
- K-12 Education - Campaigns created for messaging platforms that support schools from grades K - 12, and distance learning centers. This is not for Post-Secondary schools. This use case requires MNO approval.
- Sweepstakes - All sweepstakes messaging.
- Political - Part of organized effort to influence decision making of specific group. Available only to registered 501(c)(3/4/5/6) and 527 Orgs.
- Social - Communication between public figures/influencers and their communities. Examples include: YouTube Influencers’ alerts or Celebrity alerts.
- Platform Free Trial - CSP “Free Trial” Offers for non paying customers, requires separate contract.
- Agents; franchise; local branches - Brands that have multiple agents, franchises or offices in the same brand vertical, but require individual localized numbers per agent/location/office.
- Sole Proprietor - Limited to entities without a EIN / Tax ID, requires separate contract.
- UCaaS (Low Volume) - UCaaS companies provide cloud delivered communication services for businesses. Each number assigned to a UCaaS campaign is typically assigned to a different employee of that business and the use cases are varied. This use case is not for any API/automated driven communication. This use case is only available to approved UCaaS businesses. This use case has the same volume restrictions as the Low Volume Mixed campaign type.
- UCaaS (High Volume) - UCaaS companies provide cloud delivered communication services for businesses. Each number assigned to a UCaaS campaign is typically assigned to a different employee of that business and the use cases are varied. This use case is not for any API/automated driven communication. This is for UCaaS campaigns that require higher volume. This use case is only available to approved UCaaS businesses.
Note: Special use cases may required additional approval from Mobile Network Operators (MNOs). Special cases can be selected when higher throughput an/or reduced fees are required due to the critical or sensitive nature of the SMS content.